Reporting Non-emergency Crimes Using 101 from 1st October 2011

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police – when it’s less urgent than 999. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Find out how you can use it and if it is available in your area.

When to call 101?
You should call 101 to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers.
For example, you should call 101 if:
• your car has been stolen
• your property has been damaged
• you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood
Or to:
• report a minor traffic collision
• give the police information about crime in your area
• speak to the police about a general enquiry

101 is being introduced as part of the government’s wider work to improve access to the police, ease pressure on 999 and, help to efficiently and effectively tackle crime and disorder.

What is the difference between 101 and 999?
You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

What does it cost to call 101?
Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobile networks) cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

Everyone calling the police for non-emergency matters will now know exactly how much a call will cost them, and can be assured of equal access whether they are on a pay-as-you-go mobile or a home landline.

Who will answer my 101 call?
Calls to 101 are answered by police call handlers in the control room of the local police force. This ensures that staff with local knowledge can answer and deal with the calls and respond appropriately. You will not be put through to a large national call centre.

When you call 101, the system will determine your location and connect you to the police force covering that area. You will hear a recorded message announcing the police force you are being connected to. If you are on a boundary between two or more forces, the recorded message will give you a choice of which force to be connected to.

What about reporting general nuisance or environmental issues?
You should continue to call your local council for things like:
• reporting graffiti
• dog fouling
• abandoned vehicles
• dumping and fly tipping
• vandalism

Existing Police contact non-emergency numbers
Norfolk Constabulary
0845 456 4567

Cambridgeshire Constabulary
0345 456 4564 or 01480 456111


Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.