RAF Marham is one of the largest and busiest stations in the RAF, situated approximately 15 miles south east of King’s Lynn in West Norfolk.
Along with its sister station RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland it is the home of the Tornado GR4. Other key RAF units also based at RAF Marham, include; Tactical Imagery-Intelligence Wing, 3(RAF) Force Protection Wing, 2620 Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment, Depth Support Wing, Engineering and Logistics Wing, and the Tornado Maintenance School.
Of course none of these would function without the vital support teams in the station that sustain these specialist units. Whilst it is usually the aircraft and flying squadrons that make the news, it is every man and woman of RAF Marham, who are greatest asset and they deserve the credit for RAF Marham’s many successes over the years.
Whilst currently operating the Tornado GR4, the station which established in 1916 as Marham Aerodrome, has been home to many other aircraft types. From the Wellington Bombers, Mosquito IV Bomber, Lancasters, Washingtons, Valiants, Victors and Canberras the station has had a very varied and interesting history.