Station Welfare & Charities Committee

The RAF Marham Welfare and Charities Committee meets to allocate charitable funds generated around the Station at various events throughout the year. Chaired by OC Base Support Wing and consisting of a wide range of personnel from across RAF Marham, the committee receives bids for financial support from within the RAF Family as well as those in the local and wider community.

In March 2013 the committee was able to allocate funds to bids that were received and accepted as nominated charities at the previous meeting. Over £4,000 was awarded to the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund, the RAF’s leading welfare charity which offers support and assistance to the men, women and children of the RAF family. A further £2,000 was allocated to the RAF Marham Deployed Families Fund as well as £500 to Hosanna House, a Therapeutic Respite for mentally and physically disabled veterans and their families situated in the French Pyrenees.

In addition to these very deserving charities, the committee was able to continue RAF Marham’s strong association with the local community by awarding Tapping House-The Norfolk Hospice over £2,000. The hospice, which is based in King’s Lynn, provides care and comfort to those in the local area nearing the end of their lives whilst also offering support to their families and friends.

As well as distributing monies, the committee discussed and agreed which new bids would be nominated for allocation of funds at the next meeting in September. In keeping with supporting charities directly linked to the RAF it was decided that 70% of the money raised would go to the RAFBF, SSAFA, and the RAF Marham Deployed Families’ Fund. The remaining 30% would be divided between charities based in the local community. Swaffham and Litcham Home Hospice Support, a local charity in its 25th year and a King’s Lynn based charity called Bridge for Heroes, aimed at delivering immediate support to serving personnel, veterans and families of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

It would be impossible to distribute such large sums of money without the hard work and selfless giving of so many RAF Marham personnel, so on behalf of the Welfare and Charities Committee – a very big thank you.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.